**Disclaimer: This is one of the few contributed articles on this blog.**
The author’s name is Jean-Phillippe Belanger and you can read his bio at the bottom of the blog post, enjoy.
Top 5 Smartphone Apps Every South African Needs
Currently, in South Africa, smartphone apps are used to order food, make payments, move around, find love, and accomplish other tasks. There is just about a task for anything. However, with so many options to choose from, picking the right apps can be daunting. Luckily, we are here to help you out. Here are the best 5 apps every South African requires:
News24 is an app that offers new updates 24/7. From politics and health to food, weather, and travel, this app gives you information on all topics. This app also features an easy to use search bar that allows you to look up for the news you are interested in.
News24 lets you share and comment on articles as well as watch video clips. You can also find the latest deals from partner sites such as Woolworths and DSTV.
- This app has a user-friendly interface.
- You can access news on just about anything.
- You can share and comment on articles of interest to you.
This is a free app that contains in-app purchases. It is available for Android and iOS.
SnapScan is an app that lets you make payments through your smartphone. This app hosts more than 25,000 merchants across South Africa and supports both credit cards and debit cards and international bank cards. Here is how it works:
- Install the app and sign-up your account.
- Link your credit or debit card.
- Shop from any merchant
- Use your phone’s camera to scan the SnapScan code of the bill or the at checkout or
SnapScan features a secure platform where card details are not shared with merchants. Additionally, card details are entered only once. You will only need a pin to access your account.
The app is free as well as signing-up and linking your cards. However, it charges a transaction fee to retailers on every buy made. Customers also have the option of running loyalty programmes or accessing analytics. These offers are payable add-ons.
- A secure mobile payment app.
- It hosts a lot of merchants.
- It is easy to use.
- Eliminates the hassle of carrying cash, credit cards, and debit cards.
- Payments are fast.
This is a free app available for Android, iOS, and Blackberry.
DSTV Now is an app that is accessible to DSTV premium subscribers. Here are its features:
- This app allows you to remotely set recordings on your DSTV Explora.
- It provides you with a list of recommendations on the hottest content.
- It has a Must-Watch-Movie feature that recommends action movies, comedies, and dramas.
- You will only have to log into the app once.
- Download or stream DSTV content from anywhere at any time.
- This app is easy to navigate.
- You can access just about any DSTV content (from sports to movies) fast and easy.
- You can download or stream any content that you are interested in.
- You only need to log in once.
This is a free app available for Android and iOS. Data charges apply when you download or stream content.
MyCiti bus is an app that makes traveling in Cape Town for both locals and tourists, easy and fun. Here are its features:
This app provides you with real-time information on where to find a bus, the time, the last known location of your bus of interest, and your card balance.
You can also find a bus stop close to you and calculate how much it will cost you to take a ride. This app will also provide you with details of all routes, stops, and possible disruptions.
To check your card balance, all you have to do is to scan it. However, your smartphone should have NFC for this process to work. Additionally, the location of buses is shown on a map.
- It is easy to use.
- This app helps you plan for trips.
- Checking the balance of you MyCiti card is as easy as scanning it.
- Anyone can find a bus easily and fast.
- This app can only be used in Cape Town.
This is a free app available for Android.
Uber is a taxi service app that helps you request for a ride through your phone. Uber also offers other services such as deliveries. Uber is available in 63 countries including South Africa. Here is how it works:
- Install the app and create an account.
- The app will prompt you to turn your GPS on.
- To find a ride, simply enter the details of your destination. The app will show you the nearest Uber ride closest to you.
- Request for your pickup and contact an Uber driver. The app provides the driver’s name, the car’s plate number, and the driver’s picture.
- As you wait for your ride to pick you up, you will get the chance to track its movement on the app.
- When you are picked up, you can see your ride’s progress as you move towards your destination.
- Payments can be made in cash or credit card. A receipt will be sent directly to your email.
- When you have arrived at your destination, the Uber app will ask you to rate your driver.
- Uber can be accessed almost everywhere in the world.
- You can track the progress of your trip.
- A wide range of services to choose from such as UberX.
- It might take a minute to figure out how to use the app.
- Drivers sometimes cancel trips hence forcing you to request again.
As a technology manager on Le Meilleur Avis, I have access to various smartphones, PCs, Bluetooth devices, headphones and many other tech products. I do my best to review every aspect of these products and that includes apps.